[IPp] Eye opening school visit-long

I had a very interesting visit to the school yesterday.  Jillian's grade was
having a pizza party after school from 3:30 to 5:30 yesterday.  The nurse was
not going to be in school at all that day (sub nurse until 3pm).  It took 2
days for the teacher organizing the party to call me about the food (only
called because I kept calling the school to speak to him).  I tell him Jill
will check before the sub nurse leaves, and they need to call me for the
bolus when the food arrives.  He responds with dead silence.  Then he asks me
if I can just come to the party.  Sigh.  So I arrive after work at 4:20.
Well the kids are coming in from outside playing and there is my daughter
with no pocketbook (which contains glucometer, juice, tabs etc).  I say to
her where's your stuff?  She tells me she didn't know they were going out.
(Spoke to her about that later). I get a hold of the teachers and say do any
of you have glucose tabs?  Vacant stares.  I proceed to tell them how much
danger they put her in, blah blah blah.  They ask me if that happens when
she's high or low?  I manage not to rip their heads off and give them an
explanation.  They had no clue.  I went in there myself in the beginning of
the year.  I gave them a one page guideline about lows and highs, very basic
and easy to understand, on neon colored paper so they could easily identify
it.  They wanted to know if they really wouldn't have time to get something
if she dropped.  I asked them if they even knew where her stuff was.  More
blank looks.  Our wonderful nurse, when I told her today, said she would
"speak" to all of them (I think she is ripping their heads off for me!) and
start sending out monthly reminders about low blood sugar and she is
scheduling an in-school training for all of them by a CDE.  I love our nurse.
 She was as appalled as I was at their total lack of knowledge.  Sorry this
is so long, but I have assumed since Sept that the teachers were aware of
symptoms of lows and what to do, but I was obviously very mistaken.  Just
thought maybe some of you might want to do a refresher with the teachers.

Kelly, Mom of Jillian 12(dx'd Feb 2001), Patrick 10 and Erin 2
Happily married to Steve