[IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #65

In a message dated 5/6/2002 6:56:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My son plays many sports.  For most of them; soccer, track and basketball he
> can disconnect from his pump during participation and his readings are
> still OK.  Last year during baseball he could disconnect at the start of a
> game and be OK two hours later.  Not so this year.  He had his first
> baseball games this weekend and I can see with his increase in basal rates
> over a year ago, he can no longer disconnect for 2 hours or more and be
> "OK."  So, I would like him to wear his pump during participation.  He uses
> the MM508 and we have a Sport Case (the one make from back-pack material)
> and I have placed an order for the waterproof Sport Guard.  I am looking
> for any suggestions from any of you that have children participating in
> baseball or softball.  Does your child stay connected?  Do you

       Jake has been keeping his on during the warm up, until right before he
has to hit the field at game time and in between the 3rd and 4th innings he
checks and reconnects if needed, boluses, and disconnects. He keeps it all in
his bat bag. It amazes me how well he handles everything, I wish I handled it
as well as he does. He has insulin and syringes in his checking machine bag
for emergencies that he could take during games if needed, but he insists
it's no big deal to reconnect, prime, bolus, and get back out there. He plays
on a tournament team on weekends and league baseball during the week. Above
suggestion was for 1 game, tourny days(3-5 games) we fight lows and check
often and connect only between games, which sometimes isn't but 15 minutes.
       How does Brian feel about wearing the SportCase? I asked Jake when I
read this if it would be easier to have one and not reconnect, he said, "What
about sliding or diving back to base? Couldn't it break?"  He decided to keep
doing it the way we are, but really we fight lows more times than not during
games. Especially days he pitches or catches, which is most of the time. Hope
this helps, Trena ( PS Your advise snowskiing really helped us, we had a
great week and can't wait to go back next year)