Re: [IPp] Pumping Insulin - Lumps

> Lipodystrophies are localized manifestations of disordered fat
> metabolism at the sites of insulin injection. Tissue hypertrophy can
> be seen as a mass of fibrous scar tissue and is sometimes called
> "insulin tumor."
This has ONLY been studied for injections not for continuous
infusion. I've been trying unsuccessfully for a number of years to
get E.Lily to show some interest in the problems associated with
continuous infusion of Humalog. We know that at least 6% of OUR
pumper population has some difficulty with this and that the side
effects result in premature site failure and what appears to
localized insulin resistance, sometimes reddening, lumps, etc....
Many have solved the problem by mixing insulins or switching to
Novolog. The comment that it appears harmless may be true in the
short term, but it definetly is harmful to the pocket book to have to
change a $15 set every day and a half when they fail early due to a
medical complication that is avoidable with proper diagnosis of the
condition and a change of insulin vendors. This type problem has been
reported by someone for most available insulins. Fortunately, most
people appear to only exhibit symptoms for a specific brand of
insulin or insulin analog.