Re: [IPp] Pumping Insulin

In a message dated 5/6/2002 5:43:29 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Yes, we do go to the hosp for pump starts here in CT,
>  but we only stay for about six hours, then we go home.

Oooops! for some reason I'd read that as six DAYS in your original post . . .

>I am told to be there
>  at 8:30am tomorrow morning and expect to leave about 2pm...then I test
>  sugars every hour until 9m, then again at 11pm, 1am, 3am, 5am, and 7am,
>  the doctor will call me Wednesday morning at 9am to review numbers and
>  adjustments.

Sounds like a good plan -- pretty much what we did on our insulin start . . .
and night # 2 we did checks at the even numbered hours (and then alternated
odds & even for several days after that) -- it's a killer for the parent(s)
but it really helps you to get basals nailed down quickly . . . only 3 or 4
days after her insulin start my daughter was amazed at how much better she
felt without the daily swings that came with the long acting insulin .  .  .

>I have also been told that it takes something like two weeks of
>  no snacks (just your three meals a day) and no excersising for two weeks,
>  also to help get the basals right.

It may not take that long -- and one thing to consider about the "no
exercise" rule is that it probabaly shouldn't apply to your child's normal
activity levels at school (recesses & PE), otherwise you;ll be dealing with
lows at school after those two weeks are up . . . Other than that though,
keeping food & exercise as stable & predictable as possible WILL really help
you get basals and carb ratios and correction factors nailed down quickly
(just don't be surprised by the fact that on down the road you will have to
be making adjustments periodically as he goes through growth spurts, etc.).

>  Have I mentioned how excited I am yet??!!

I COMPLETELY understand how you feel . . . Wishing you a smooth pump start!

Pumpmama to Katie