[IPp] RE: Matthew Pumping Insulin

Hi Sarah and Matthew,

First of all, Congrats to starting pumping!  You will LOVE it!
Regarding basal rates, Gen's vary from 0.3 (0.4 most of the time) to 0.9
on days she is at home weekends, school vacations, etc..  School days
(1st grade) they vary from 0.0 to 0.9.  Despite her age (just turned 7)
she is 4' 3" and weighs about 60 lbs.

I think when Gen was 4 1/2 and started pumping, her basal was .2 or .3
around the clock, except for 9pm to 12pm when she had tripled that
amount (twilight phenomenon? ;-}).  We only discovered the extra need
for that insulin in that time period immediately after she started
pumping!  She still needs that extra insulin after bedtime now.
Full school days were something we just started dealing with last autumn
(who knew that for school her rates would be so different?), but after
some tweaking we're doing great now.
Her last Hba1c was 6.2.  The very highest she has been since pumping is
7.1, and that was just after she started 1st grade and we had some
difficulties in adjusting her basals.

You are in our thoughts and keep us updated!

Pump-Mom to Gen (age 7,dx'd @13 mths, pumping since Jan 2000) and James
(age 10, non-D)