[IPp] oops mom.......I left my pump at school

Erica had been pumping 3 years, 49 days, and 6 hours when this happened today
<g>.

I was actually catching up on reading IP digests that were building up in my
mail box, when I heard Erica come into the house after a day at school.  About
5 mins later she pops her head into the home office, says  "Hi Mom!" and then
froze.  With her eyes locked onto mine, her hands went to her waistline,
"Oops mom.....I LEFT MY PUMP AT SCHOOL!!!"  Of course my calm reaction was -
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU LEFT YOUR PUMP AT SCHOOL?!!"  Her equally subdued
response was "I DISCONNECTED FOR GYM WHICH WAS LAST PERIOD AND LEFT IT IN MY
LOCKER"

....breathe.........breathe........

Poor Erica, I don't often see her at a loss for words, or frantic about
anything.  This kid is so cool and composed. For a few minutes there though I
think time stood still and we just stared at each other with very strange
expressions on our faces.  It makes me giggle now to think about it.  Stunned
bunnies comes to mind.

I make a quick call to the school but before Erica even knows whether or not
anybody is still there, she is out the door and running (it is a 10 minute
walk).  Luckily the secretary is still there, and she will make sure that
nobody stops Erica from going upstairs to her locker.   Poor thing, her heart
must have been beating a mile a minute.  Alls well that ends well.  But I have
learned a lesson today.  I will find an after hours phone number for a contact
for the school.  If this had been a Friday, that school would have been as
empty as a vacuum.

No mini lectures for Erica (Barbara Coloroso would be so proud of me) she
didn't need me to remind her how crappy that would have been. We would have
managed, but it wouldn't have been pretty <g>

And I thought we had heard everything......

Barb Chafe
Insulin Pumpers Nova Scotia
Mom to Erica, a Canadian Butterfly
Visit our pumping website