Re: [IPp] Endo appointment

Shanna,  Best of Luck tomorrow.  I hope it all works out for you, but if it
doesn't, do not waste time find another doctor.  Maybe not an endo.  This is what
happened to us.  Carl, my son was diagnosed at age 6.  We live in a small town to
we went to the big city to a pediatric endo, very good but not willing to start
the pump till 12 yrs.  We said O.K. and stayed there a couple years.  Carl is now
8 years old.  I went to a diabetes fair at another big city and they promoted
their pump program.  So we switched doctors and at every visit the endo would say
we'll talk about at the next visit.  He always had an excuse, plus he always did
a complete physical on my son, that's every three months, which he hated and I
thought excessive.  Then we went to a Pump information presentation in a
neighboring small town.  They had a panel of pump wears, one of them was a G.P.
Doc at that clinic.  He loved his pump and being diabetic himself he understood
what it ment to have one.  I asked him that night if he would take Carl on as a
patient and he said yes so I made an appointment and we saw him within a week.
At our first visit he asked Carl why he wanted a pump and He replied that he was
tired of shots.  He said " Sounds like a good reason to me".  and wrote up the
order for a pump.  Carl started pumping within 3 months from that visit!  There
was no "you're not ready" or " You have to show better control" before you can
start.  Actually, Carl would occasionally suffer sever lows at night and the pump
has stopped that.  We are still with this doctor.  I know he is not a pediatric
endo. but for us he is better.  He understands, does not judge, is close by, very
easy to reach and really knows pumping.   So if things do not workout, move on.
There are doctors out there that understand and want to help.  Best of luck. Let
us know how it goes.
Joyce, mom of Carl 10 finally pumping since 6-15-01 and loving it!