[IPp] Re: sad question

My DD just recently has said a couple times she wished she did not have D.
However when we have talked about a cure in the past it has usually ended in
tears.  Hers not mine...OK mine too but only after she has left the room.
And the tears are not because of the frustration of having D or the lack of a
cure but rather she cries at the thought of NOT having D anymore.  She has
literally cried and begged me not to "take" her D away.  Needless to say the
first time this happened it kind of freaked me out.  I went straight to our
social worker through our endo and asked about this kind of reaction.  She
said she could see why it would be so frightening to have it taken away from
her since she has never known life without her D and sees having D as making
her "special."  She views D as part of her, kind of like a leg or arm so to
cure it and take it away from her is scary.  Last year my husband rode his
bicycle in the JDRF Ride to Cure through Death Valley.  We told her it was to
help raise money to find a cure for D and she asked him not to do it.  We
ended up telling her that the money could go to help other little kids like
her get an insulin pump.  She said then it would be OK for him to do the
ride.  It breaks my heart that she wants to keep this dreaded disease but I
guess at her tender age of 4 she does not see the dread of it yet.  I guess
that is what being dx'd at such a young age will do for you.

Tammy, wife to David
Mom to Shannon, 4, dx'd 2/99 at 13 mo, pumping 3/01
& Kaitlyn 1 1/2 and running wild!