[IPp] getting kids to swallow pills

<<From: email @ redacted
...The pills are tiny, I don't remember what I would do
to have her swallow them but she's been doing it for so many years now w/o
any problems.  ....>>>

When Luke was 5 & was getting ready to go to kindergarten, we
found out that he tested positive for tuberculosis (TB).  This was
about 6 months after he had been diagnosed w/ Type 1 diabetes.
Fortunately, there was no active infection in him & everyone else
who was close to him tested negative.  But, to prevent this from
being a problem for him in the future, he had to take an antibiotic
for 1 year (it would have been 6 months if he had not had diabetes).
Anyway, the antibiotic was a pill.  Our wonderful physician's assistant
suggested using sugar-free chocolate syrup to mask the taste &
enable him to swallow it.  That worked well - every day for a full

We've also used the chocolate syrup or strawberry syrup method to
get my daughter to swallow pills for a while (she's now 9 & can take
pills okay w/out anything).   My oldest son has been able to swallow
pills w/out help since about age 8.

Anyway, maybe that will help someone.  Luke was happy to give it up
as well.

Shelly V, mom to Luke, 7, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 & to Trevor 11 & Kate 9

Do You Yahoo!?