[IPp] Re: Figuring Insulin to carb ratios

I'm not reading a head so this could have been sent already.

The 500 rule -
For meals  500/total daily dose of insulin = how many carbs 1 unit of Humalog
or Novolog will cover

example - Jacob gets around 16 total units a day (NPH & Humalog) so you take
500/16=31.25 carbohydrates for every one unit of Humalog (Humalog is what we
use)

The 1800 rule -
For highs  1800/total daily dose of insulin = how many mg/dl your blood sugar
will drop for every 1 unit of Humalog or Novolog

example - Jacob gets around 16 total units a day so 1800/16=112.5 mg/dl that
Jacob's blood suagr will drop for every 1 unit of Humalog

HTH

Shanna
Wife to Jeremy, Mom to
Jacob (b. 4-22-97, dx'd 3-2-99) and
Hunter (b. 7-22-00)
Stillwater, MN
email @ redacted
I've learned that if someone says something unkind about me, I must live that
so no one will believe it.