Re: [IPp] Some Type 1 Diabetics Seem Shielded Against Complications

Hi Rachel,

Very interesting article.  One paragraph that leaped out at me was this one:

"More importantly, recent studies have provided evidence that diet is a
significant exogenous source of highly reactive AGEs. Food processing,
heating in particular, has a significant accelerating effect in the
generation of glyco- and lipoxidation products. Heat helps create tasteful
flavors that humans have learned to enjoy. In recent decades, food
manufacturers have been using this knowledge to boost the flavor of natural
foods by incorporating synthetic AGEs into foods. Consequently, the AGEs
content of the Western diet has increased vastly in the past 50 years, as
has the quantity of food consumed. "

Ouch.  Once again, we get back to diet.

I thought the article explained the general idea of AGEs pretty well.  What
kind of further information are you looking for?

Chris Brostrup-Jensen