Re: [IPp] A change of subject-- wearing pumps during sports

Hi all,

Dan has been coming home from lacrosse with such bad highs we're  considering
having him try to wear the pump during games and practice, just  tuning down
the basal rate.  I have wanted him to test and correct at least  partially
 halfway through the session, or at least do a little bolus for missed basal,
but
he insists this is very hard to do-- he's dirty, has gloves, helmet  and pads
on, etc.  So maybe staying attached is the best thing.  He is  afraid that if
he falls on the pump he'll hurt himself. I know the pump  will be vulnerable
since he broke it once playing baseball.  I heard a  speaker once who
 recommended leaving it on and had instructions for how to wrap it etc. I will
have
to look for my notes.  I think he said put it  under an ace bandage on the
thigh but I'll have to double check.  I'm  wondering if anyone has a child who
 wears the pump during contact sports and how you physically protect the pump
and
your child and how you adjust his or her  rates during the exercise.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mary
Mom of Dan,  15 (dx 4-01, pumping since 5-03), Chris, 23, Carrie, 19, and
guardian of Mike,  19.