[IPp] Cornstarch (or cornflour here in New Zealand)

Hi all,

I read recently that cornstarch can be used to help stop hypos over
night and such like as it is more slowly absorbed. I am wondering if it
would help avoid highs due to a gluten free high glycemic breakfast cereal.
The high hits about an hour after he eats the cereal. Often the bsl will
shoot up to 14-15mmol/l (260-260), usually from a pre-breakfast level of
around the 6-8mmol/l (110-150) mark - on a good day!! If I added cornstarch
to the milk, does anyone know if this would help avoid the quick spike in
bsl by slowing down the absorbtion rate?  I have tried changing the insulin
to carb ratio but he then goes low later. I have tried increasing basals but
we get lows later also. I also wondered about giving the breakfast bolus
about half an hour before he eats as I think the cereal hits the blood
stream before the insulin kicks in, but I am liable not to remember to do
so - have enough to remember as it is!! I hope this makes sense and that
someone can let me know if my thinking is on the right track or not. I will
post this to the CWD list so apologies to those who get it twice.

Suzanne, Canterbury New Zealand, mum of Michael 7, D dxd 08/99, coeliacs dxd
04/00,pumping 04/02, Daniel 9, wife of Paul.