[IPp] irratic numbers on the pump - just my thoughts!!!

Hi Sandra,

My son Michael (nearly 8) has been pumping for nearly a year. We love the
pump. We also get irratic numbers. We seem to have periods where more stable
numbers come more easily then we have times when there is no rhyme nor
reason to the irratic nature of his levels. My thoughts are that in theory
and on paper, one should be able to get stable numbers on an insulin pump if
basals and insulin to carb ratios are set correctly, but then real life
happens - with all the ups and downs of emotions, illnesses and other
factors  we have no control over,  then that can cause things to go abit
haywire. We often seen no pattern in some of Michaels irratic numbers so we
don't feel we can safely make basal changes as he can be up one day and down
the next. I feel that sometimes it is just a matter of 'riding out' the
irratic numbers treating at the time with corrections or carbs - whichever
is appropriate. When I find myself getting really frustrated and doubting my
ability to do the right thing because of irratic numbers, I remind myself of
what it was like on injections when the option of being more pro-active
wasn't there. Things are certainly alot better for us on the pump even tho
we still experience the fluctuations. All the best with the pump - hang in

Suzanne, Canterbury New Zealand, mum of Michael 7, D dxd 08/99, coeliacs dxd
04/00,pumping 04/02, Daniel 9, wife of Paul.