[IPp] Re: surgery - tubes in ears

Hi Linda!
       Has Adam not had tubes before?  You will find that it is a very, very
simple and fast procedure.
       Claire has been having tubes put in since she was 8 months old.  I was
worried that first time, but found that it was finished before I had time to
go down and buy a coffee and get back upstairs.  Her tubes would sometimes
not even last the 6 weeks until check-up, so she has had them replaced a lot
of times.
       The last time she had them put in was about two months before we
started pumping.  As she was diabetic she was scheduled to be first in the
morning.  I was worried about being low overnight and not allowed to treat,
though I think you can give clear fluids (apple juice) 3 hours before--check
on this.  So I gave a bit less bedtime insulin.  The worst thing was that the
anesthetist insisted on getting a bg from the lab before the procedure!!!
Well, Claire is frantic about blood draws from a vein, so this was very
traumatizing.  Then, the docs, nurses, etc were all waiting to go ahead at
8:00 am and had to wait for the bg from the lab.  I told them I could give
them the number in 30 seconds (pre Ultra one touch), but they said No, no.
Ha-ha, so they waited and waited.
       Anyhow, in my experience they have never put in an IV for ear tubes.
The amount of general anesthetic is very tiny, and the kids are awake within
1/2 hour.   I would think that the best thing to do is to just leave his pump
on, running at the usual rate.  Check his bg just before he goes in, and let
him run a bit higher than normal.  You would definately want him to wake that
morning a bit higher than normal, as you don't want him low.  However, if you
check in the early hours and he is a bit low, you can just suspend delivery
for a bit of time to bring him up a bit.  The pump makes it so much easier.
       If the docs want the pump disconnected, that is no problem as the
amount of time is so short.  Just hook him back up when he comes out.
Typically the kids are a bit groggy and want a big cuddle.  Then the nurse
brings a popsicle or juice for them to have.  With a pump this is fine--you
can just bolus for the things.
       Claire has also had major surgery twice since having DM.  It was a
nightmare on injections, but not quite so bad with a pump.  With the pump I
left it on until the moment they were taking her into the OR at Sick Kids in
Toronto.  I checked her bg when the anesthetist came out to meet us--he was
so fascinated with the One Touch Ultra that he came back a few minutes later
and asked me if he could keep it with her in the OR.  Said the one that the
hospital used was from the dinosaur age!  LOL  Then we disconnected the pump
and they were going to start the glucose IV and the insulin IV in the OR.
The endo calculated the rate of insulin infused and it worked extremely well.
They checked her bgs every hour during surgery, which was about 2+ hours in
total I think.  Bgs started to rise with the surgery stress about 7 hours
later.  Rate of IV insulin was just notched upwards at my suggestion as
required.  Sick Kids nurses were quite relieved that I handled all bg
tests--the intensive care nurse did not like the idea of being responsible
for them.  Thus at 4 am I had to troop down from my bed on the 7th floor to
the intensive care unit, do the bg and then go back to bed.
       I know that all hospital things can be worrisome, but I can reassure
you that Adam's ear tubes should go really smoothly.  And his ears will be
much happier for it!  You should look into getting custom ear moulds made to
keep out the water.  I think you need the doctor's Rx for these and then you
get them fitted by the audiologist--ask around about it, even some ENTs don't
know about these.  Cost about $60, our insurance covers them.  They are most
helpful with summer and swimming season coming up.
       Currently Claire has a hole in her ear drum, has been there for a year
now.  The tubes are long gone.  Nothing works to fix it up and the infections
can play havoc with bgs.  It doesn't respond to antibiotics as it is not in
the inner or middle ear.  ENT has now tried Gentian Violet, an old-fashioned

Good luck and you can always ask me anything else you might like to know.

Barbara, mum of Claire 8  (in BC now)