[IPp] Boys and physicals

OK, how about boys?  I have a 12 year old and I (the mom) take him to his appointments.  He sees a male endo.  I am in the room with him all the time.  He has never done any type of "personal" exam.  I know my son must be happy about that.  He hates it once a year when he has is physical with the pediatrician and gets checked "down there."  So, do I expect these type of exams to start up?  Should I leave the room to give him some privacy?  Any suggestions are welcome.

Jocelyn, Brian's mom