RE: [IPp] physicals for girls

> If the patient
> objects, I can and do skip this part of the exam, but
> I try to find out why there is an objection.  If the
> child is developing late or slowly, there is even more
> reason to examine the development.  I would also
> wonder if this child may be sexually abused, teased by
> classmates about early or late development, or has
> some other problem with developing sexuality.
>

> This endo's remarks bother me, he/she doesn't seem to be very
> sensitive to a child's innate sense of modesty or privacy.

there is more to his comments than meet the eye. One of the things
endos deal with unfortunately is young girls that are brought to them
because of vaginal bleeding. I a few of these cases, enough to
warrant concern, the problem is sexual abuse. These docs have a
heightened awareness of this problem as they frequently are the ones
who must report it to authorities. This is a sad reality.

> He/she
> automatically assumes a child wouldn't want to be viewed because
> there is a *problem* with that child.  My 9 yr old (non D) doesn't
> even want me to see him in the shower, he is very private about his
> body and he is not abused, teased, etc. I know he would be
> moritified if a Dr looked at his privates every 3 mos-what child
> wouldn't be?

You should discuss this with the doc privately and perhaps get
him/her to modify the routine to annual or bi-annual frequency.
Perhaps some discussion about the reasons for the exam would help as
well.