RE: [IPp] Switching a child from Humalog to Novolog

> If Novolog is so much better than Humalog, why does everyone start
> on Humalog? It's not even approved for the pump, is it? It kind of
> sounds like the NPH vs. Lantus debate, why not just start with the
> one that sounds so perfect. I am just looking for answers as we get
> closer to pumping.
> Mike Swaithes
> Dad to Alicia 9 & Lindsey (Z) 12, dx 5/98

Humalog has been around for quite a few years. Novolog was only
approved by the FDA recently and has only been available for
distribution in the US since last Sept/Nov.

The pump indication means that Novo is allowed to say that is can be
used in pump in their Sales and Marketing literature.

Remember, once a drug of any kind is appoved for use by the FDA, a
doctor can prescribe it for "anything". Around 90% of the forum
members use Humalog in their pumps. Novolog is relatively new so it
will take some time for it to catch on. For some it is a godsend, for
others it doesn't matter which insulin analog they use, both work as
well for them.