Re: [IPp] Re: alt sites /school issue

My son, Adam, who is 11 years old, is the exact opposite he hates having his
site in his stomache.  We do move around a lot on his hips from side to side
and up and down.  We also have found that with his stomache we have to
changed the site every 2 days max, also must do the sandwich method in his
stomache also.   Whenever we take the site out he has a mark for a long time
on his stomache.  We have also had lots of bent sites and blood in the
canula.  We use the Quick sets 6mm.  So for the past few weeks we have only
been using his hips.

Adam has been pumping since Nov 1st with humalog on Mini med 508 pump.
Everything that could have went wrong has for us.  We have tried 3 or 4
different sets and right now the quick set is the only one that works without
a lot of pain and allergic reaction.  Adam loves the inserter for the quick
set also.  He always inserts the site I put the insulin in the resouviors and
try to get the air bubbles out but he does the rest.

Adam will be in Middle school next year which means he will have 6 different
teachers.  I have always had a meeting with his teachers and the nurse before
school started each year - just to make sure everyone understand his
condition and the special allowances he has to have - like free access to the
bathroom , water bottle and someone to nmake sure he gets to the nurse okay.
I have spoken to the Middle School, they don't see the need for a meeting
with all his teachers just the school nurse and counselor - am I expecting
too much???? I am just not comfortable without speaking to all his teachers,
because he does get lows often.  Once in a while he will have a high also.  I
know I can require it through an IEP ( Individual Edcuation Pogram) because
diabetes is covered by the disabilities act but should I push it??? I want to
have a good communications with the school not bad.  Any info anyone can give
me would be helpful.  Also he would be the first student in the middle school
with a pump.

Sherry Eshein - Mom to Adam 11 years old, dx 8/2000 pumping 11/2001
St. Peters, MO