[IPp] Re:Confused Mom (long)

This is standard - typically everyone is started with too-low basals (there is a reason for that). I wrote about this before on CWD when you first started pumping and had problems (maybe you didn't see it though). They will start you out at 25-50%, but typically 25%, less than your previous total daily dose (not just basal insulin) to avoid severe hypos BUT also, because you typically (though not in all cases) need slightly less insulin with CSII than with MDI. You take an average of about 3 day's worth
of total daily dose (ALL insulins, not just basal insulin) and divide that by 2. One half of that is for basals (you divide it by 24) and the other half is for bolus coverage. From there you test the bg frequently and adjust the basals accordingly. You'll start seeing patterns immediately. Typically - if you see one low (<60) in a given time period you adjust down .1 for the 2-3hrs before that, and if you a see a high (outside the upper end of your target range) in a given time period for 3 days in a
row, you adjust up .1 for the 2-3hrs before that time period. (This info comes from MiniMed's Insulin Pump Therapy Book.) There are other ways to do this but this is pretty typical.

Hope this helps.

Take care, Kerri, mom of Shannon-11, dxT1 5.3yrs, pumping 2.3yrs, and 7 other blessings http://www.geocities.com/southard8/photos.html
~*~do-`da-ga-g`hv-i (until we meet again)~*~

Marion said:
But, I can tell you with my very little experience, that after a hellish
start, the most problems that we had were TOO LITTLE BASAL.  I kept assuming
it was the site or set being at fault.  They simply started us on 50% of his
Ultralente dose and it was not enough.