Re: [IPp] Re:Confused Mom (long)/ Doses on MDI versus Pump

In a message dated 3/6/2002 5:09:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Kaycee was never really on MDI she was just on twoshots a day before we
> started pumping so we never figured

I spent three years, probably 1000 hours studying, reading, writing, asking
and learning how insulin worked with MDI.  I have a Mentor on another list
who has showed me how to dose meals almost to the b.g. point and helped me
fine tune the Ultralente.

We finally ran into the limits of MDI, which were dosing high fat/high
protein meals which can be done with the pump using extended boluses but
require multiple split doses of insulin or insulin cocktails.  Also, the
basal insulin with MDI that we used was Ultralente and in simply cannot cover
the sharp rise in b.g. that occurs in the early morning hours.  Finally, with
MDI, one is reluctant to promptly correct highs of 40-50 points because it
requires an extra shot; with the pump, you just bolus and it is painless.

When we started the pump I was already intimately familiar (sad, but true)
with Gabriel's blood sugar patterns and reaction to insulin.  It is really
the mechanics of the pump that had me stumped, but they start to make sense
now.  Highest b.g. today was 108...and that's five hours after pizza for