[IPp] Re: Child block feature

In a message dated 2/28/02 7:10:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> I just have a couple of questions re pumps that have a child block feature.
> I may be wrong but from what I have read it seems that the Minimed 508
> (only
> Minimed available in New Zealand) has the child block where as the
> Disetronic HTon (only Disetronic available in NZ) does not. Is this
> correct?
> Do any of you use a pump that doesn't have a child block feature but have
> any tricks or tips as to how you stop accidental 'fiddling' that you could
> share with me? Thanks very much.
> Suzanne, Canterbury New Zealand, mum of Michael 6, D dxd 08/99,

Hi Suzanne,
     My Claire started on the H-tron last year when she was 6.  Now of course
every child is different, but we had no need at all for a child block
feature.  She gives herself her bolus at school to cover morning and
afternoon snack, which would be impossible with a block on.  I go at lunch
time to calculate lunch bolus based on bgs, activity level and carbs to be
eaten.  She keeps her pump inside her pants or a pocket, and we have never
had anything like another child trying to touch it, and she knows that no one
is allowed to touch her pump except Mum or Dad.
     What you can do with the H-tron is have the factory limits set at a low
level, so if a bolus is done accidentally it could only be up to a certain
maximum which is set.  We didn't do that, though, as the way the H-tron works
it would be very hard to accidentally give yourself much of an extra bolus.
     Although it doesn't have as many features as some of the other pumps, we
really love our H-tron, Claire has one blue one and one clear one.  It is
very kid friendly and very easy to operate.  The glass cartridges/reservoirs
are superb and apparently much superior to plastic which can break down when
in contact with insulin (or something like that).  You don't have to change
the catridge when you change the site, we typically only fill 3 cartridges a
month.  I chose the H-tron  because of its dependability and because it came
as a 2 pump system.  It isn't now officially classified as waterproof, but I
feel we can still treat it as being waterproof if the need arises.
Good luck,
Barbara, Mum of Claire 7