[IPp] Flying with cold insulin

Hello all,
On July 5 Dan will be leaving for a summer-long internship in San Francisco.
 He's going to take some supplies with him and we'll ship some.  We are
wrangling with the insurance company about getting insulin pens as a pump
backup -- they don't want to pay for them because they are already covering
the vials he uses for his pump.  He still has pens from the days when they did
cover them, and I'm starting to think he should just take those.
My question is, how does he keep them cold on the plane?   We could put them
in the luggage with some cold packs, I guess, but I'm not sure how hot it gets
in the cargo hold. And I doubt they'd allow a cold pack on a carry-on?  Would
they allow a frio?  Though for us, frios have kept things cool but not cold.
MaryMom of Dan, 20, dx 01 pumping 03 dexcom 09