[IPp] Battery life on Dexcom receiver?

Hello all,
My son lost the transmitter to his Dexcom cgm, and we're considering just
buying a new transmitter out of pocket rather than going through the approval
process with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois again at this point.  Last
time it took us five months and a denial before we got it on appeal.  We've
got time pressure as he's leaving for an out of state internship on July 5,
and since BCBS is currently covering the sensors I don't want to risk losing
that with a denial. The Dexcom went out of its one-year warranty in Dec 2010.
My question is, does anyone have any experience with how long the receiver
lasts?  I know the battery will give out at some point, and I'm just wondering
how long we'd have till we'd face replacing that too.
Thanks in advice for any feedback.
Mary