[IPp] RE: Insurance Coverage for Continuous Glucose Monitors

(((Response to:
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:19:35 -0400
From: "chris eichenlaub" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IPp] RE: Insurance Coverage for Continuous Glucose Monitors

Has anyone had any luck with insurance covering their continuous glucose
monitors and supplies?  We have Federal Blue Cross insurance and they are
currently reviewing our case.  Dexcom has been acting as the go-between.
Just curious if anyone else out there with Federal BC has had the monitor
covered.

Andrea E.
Mother of Gunnar, 8, dx'd 5/07, pumping Animas since 11/07, Dexcom since
3/08 .)))

- I just spoke today to our DexCom sales rep.  He said that my insurance
will cover it, since I have insurance through Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield
out of Missouri.  Apparently Anthem BCBS "owns" 14 states' worth of BCBS and
if you are insured from one of those 14, you are covered; however if you're
with BCBS in any of the other 36 states you aren't covered, at least not
yet.  This is an extraordinary stroke of luck (for me) as I'm in North
Carolina and BCBS-NC would not cover Dexcom (I'm not sure why my employer
has Missouri insurance; I'm just glad they do!)  It's my understanding that
this is a fairly new decision on Anthem's part.  Perhaps other insurers are
waiting to see if CGMS actually cuts costs before jumping in.  But hey, you
can buy a lot of sensors for the cost of 1 ER visit.

- Maria, mom to 6-yo Sigrid dx'd @ 11 mos