[IPp] Dexcom CMGS

Hi David and Louis

We started our daughter on a Dexcom a couple of months back and it really
has transformed our lives. Her A1c dropped from 7 to 6.6% in 6 weeks, she
did her first ever sleep-over without us and kept between 90 and 180 the
whole weekend. Since being on the Dexcom she's  had no sever hypos or
extreme highs as it does track very well and even copes with rapid rises or
falls..

The sensors are fantastic... Sarah has ultra sensitive skin and can only
wear a Comfort/.Silhouette for 2 days, she says she really can't feel the
Dexcom sensor at all. They guarantee them for 7 days wear but we're are
getting 10 to 11 days of good tracking.. After removing the sensor after 11
days, there is no red marks and you can hardly see where the sensor was
inserted.. I wish we could say the same after a site change. Customer
service has been excellent also and there's always someone to talk to and
help.

The sensor is very small and inserted at a pre-set angle (I believe the
Navigator goes in at 90 degrees and can prickle). Sarah can do the insertion
herself which is 100 times easier than for the pump. The small transmitter
then attaches to the sensor. In all its no bigger than an Inset or Comfort
and not susceptible to be knocked or bashed. It only takes 2 hours to
calibrate and then needs calibration every 12 hours. We still test before
food and recalibrate every time we test.. its rarely more than 20 out and
always catches the actual trend.

The receiver is great.. it displays a graph of the result as well as a
reading, so you get to see if a bolus is working or not. Its helped us catch
site failures quickly. You can set the high and low alarms easily.. we set
the low at 90 so we can see by the rate of fall before she gets too low,. It
vibrates first and if left unattended will alarm after 10 minutes. The alarm
is loud enough to wake you up. We rarely get false alarms (as on the MM
Guardian). The receiver is about 4inches wide, but it's very very light
(unlike the pump) and can be worn or kept anywhere within 5ft of the sensor.
We leave it in her bed at night.

I really would have no hesitation in recommending it and only wish it was
around years earlier. We fund the sensors ourselves, but I consider the
peace of mind worth every cent.. and we do only use 3 sensors (not 4 ) a
month and she wears it all the time, including for sports.

Animas are working with Dexcom and next year should have an integrated
system, which will be fantastic.

Hope that helps, feel free to email me off list if you need any advice on
getting one.

Karen Persov
Mom to Sarah-age 11 (diabetic for 10 years), also hypothyroid,. Pumping 5
years (MM511, MM512, Cozmo and now Animas2020)