Re: [IPp] One Touch Ultra Link w/Minimed Pump

There are a few reasons why we are considering switching.  I have not been
generally unhappy with the pump itself, but the customer service has not
been so hot.  I had a big issue last year regarding insurance and Medtronic
was attempting to bill me for a three month supply of reservoirs and sites.
Even though they were listed as a provider on my policy they said they
weren't and I would have to pay 100% of the cost because they would not bill
to my insurance company.  I won't get into the gory details.  We had an
issue with the battery cap a couple of weeks ago which was causing the pump
to act wonky.  Of course it was a Sunday so we called the 24 hour emergency
pump support line.  We were lead through a series of prompts and then told
to call back during business hours.  Very frustrating.  Medtronic did help
us the next day and shipped out two new battery caps, but why say you have a
24 hour emergency product support line if you don't answer.

Things I like about Animas:  I do like the tiny basal rates.  Gavin still
uses a very small amount of insulin and this might be handy.  I also like
that they will lend an extra pump for vacations just in case of a
malfunction.  The sites look easier and less intimidating for Gavin.  Also,
he likes to click his pump on by himself and with these sites he can click
it on either way when he cannot do this with the Minimed.  It has to attach
only one way.  The Animas is waterproof.  Do you know how much anxiety I
have about Gavin jumping in the pool or dropping his pump in the toilet?  I
also like that the Animas has a favorite food database.

I am in the same boat as you and what we did was have a rep from each
company come out to the house so that we could actually see a demo and hear
about the products.  We didn't do this last time as our doctor only starts
people off with Minimed pumps.  We decided to shop around a little this
time.  I hope this helps!