[IPp] duration of insulin action

Hi all,

I have a question about the duration of insulin action setting.  We pump with
the Cozmo, but the other pumps probably have a similar setting.

I am wondering how long of a time span you put in for the insulin action.  We
have always used the default 4 hours, but I am wondering if it is more like 2
- 3 hours.  I know if you only did shots, let's say the pump was broke, you
would have to give shots every 2 hours, which lets me know that the insulin
alone is only working in 2 hour segments.  But if you add in the basals, and
they are set correctly, at what would the duration of insulin action need to
be set?

Last endo. visit he said we could change that setting to 3 hours if we wanted.

My question arises, because I notice, especially in the evening, if Kendall is
high at bedtime, he still may have insulin working (or the pump thinks it's
working) and won't suggest a bolus, but then when I check him later, he has
either gone up more or not gone down any.  If there was still insulin working
from the bolus, it would seem he would continue to fall a bit.  Hope this
makes sense.  His basals seem to be set correctly.

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks,

Debbie Crawford
Mom to Kristin, 19; Kelsey, 16 and Kendall, 13 (dx'd 11/99 - pumping 4/03)