RE: [IPp] New Minimed Continuous Glucose Monitoring System

My son is currently on the 515 and the Guardian RT.  (That is the first
version of the Medtronic Minimed Real Time System.  The 522 is the next
step.)  We just worked out an arrangement with Medtronic for the upgrade
to the 522.  It was fair.  They said that the new pump will take 8 weeks
to come.  Many things will stay the same.  We will use the same sensors,
and an almost identical transmitter.  The pump will be different in that
it will act as the monitor also.  So, now my son will only have to wear
one thing on the waistline of his pants.  (And instead of using two
software programs, we will only need to use one.)

Our Medtronic Rep. and I have been trying to get the Guardian RT and the
sensors covered.  In my area, the adults that are on the Medtronic
sensors are being covered. I have submitted a letter of necessity from
the endo. and I have also appealed once.  I think that I am going to
wait for insurance coding before I appeal again.  The two times that our
insurance has denied our claims have been because of the FDA ruling that
these devices are approved for 18 and older.  (We had no problem getting
the prescription because my son doesn't wake up because of a low blood
sugar.)  We paid out of pocket for the Guardian RT and continue to pay
out of pocket for the sensors (now $35 a piece).

My suggestion to you guys that want to upgrade would be to get on the
list to upgrade the pump (it takes 8 weeks) and see if your insurance
will pay for the upgrade of the pump and then worry about ordering the
continuous glucose sensing part later when insurance coverage is more
likely.  At least that way you will be ready when insurance starts
covering it for minors or when you feet like paying out of pocket. (You
cannot use the $999 sensing system with the older pumps.  If you have a
715/515 or older you would need to buy the Guardian RT which is not
priced as attractively as the 522 system.)

It is certainly exciting stuff.

Jenny
Tommy, Dx 4/4/05, MM 515, Guardian RT, soon to be pumping and sensing
with the 522