From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Cathy Adams
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 9:52 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPp] medical assistance

Hi Jamie,
  I know exactly what you are going through with struggling to pay
copayments and deductibles. When you are paying $25 copayments for each
prescription, doctor visits, deductibles (we had to pay over $1000 for
Cole's hospital stay upon diagnosis) it adds up very quickly! The staff at
your doctor's office may be able to help you find the help that you need.
Have you checked into hawk-i? http://www.hawk-i.org/ It appears to be very
similar to the Child Health Plus program available here in NY. I would
recommend sending any correspondence to any program that you apply to by
certified mail through the post office. Then you will have proof of delivery
to keep the insurance company honest in case they claim that they never
received the information you sent. We had our children on Child Health Plus
and the insurance company terminated their coverage with no notice because
they claimed that they never received the additional information that they
requested from us. When I filed a lost mail report with the post office they
changed their story and offered to put the kids back on but it was too late,
we had already put them on our private insurance and that had paid for
Cole's pump so we couldn't go back and cancel it as of the termination of
the other policy. I could have avoided the whole situation if I had sent the
information certified mail.
    Please don't be embarassed about asking for help. Dealing with diabetes
is hard enough in itself without being financially stressed and constantly
worrying about whether you will be able to pay for the medications and
doctor's visits that your children need. I hope you are able to find the
help that you need.
Cathy