[IPp] Toes and woes.

We have tested BGs using Sarah's toes (at night) for more than 2 years,
since we first started pumping. Sarah still needs at least two-hourly blood
tests through the night and we do this without waking her. We only use a
flash light so the room stays dark and only shine the light on her feet. The
key is to grab the foot firmly (or it tickles and will wake her) in your
hand, using your thumb and index finger to hold a toe. With practice you can
do this in one movement. A quick prick shouldn't wake her. Warm toes are
essential, so choose one under the cover.

This gives her fingers a chance to heal at night and we put tea-tree oil on
them before she goes to bed. The toes are fine to use in children unless
they have been diagnosed with circulation/nerve problems. Such problems
usually arise after a long period from diagnosis where A1c % has been poorly
controlled for many years.

That's why we are pumping.. to prevent such complications in our kids and
often this can only be safely achieved by regular testing throughout the
night.

Children need to grow and growth hormone is mainly released at night, so
overnight basals will always change and need to be tested. During growth
spurts, having sufficient insulin to cope with the insulin resistance of
growth hormone is essential to maximise growth and keep down A1c.

Have you thought of sending Carly to a diabetic camp this summer so she can
spend some time with other kids her age? We are flying to Texas (from
London) again this year so Sarah can attend camp Sweeney. Sarah found the
experience really positive and we got our first break from diabetes ( and
full night's sleep together) in 8 years.

Karen Persov
mum to Sarah aged 9 (diabetic since May 1998, pumping(Cozmo) since March
2004)

Carly's mom wrote...

" My daughter Carly, who is 10, was diagnosed July 27, 2005, and has been