Re: [IPp] temp basal when going to sleep

> Michael or others --
> I remember reading - I think-  that Michael had Lily set a temp
> basal for 3-4 Hours? one to two points higher that her normal basal
> when she went to bed--to take care of growth hormones.  My son,
> Morgan, nearly 11, is always high around 12 midnight to 2 am or so.
>  I tried going up on his before bedtime basal, thinking by 12 the
> lower basal late evening basal  was making him high at Midnight to 2
> but he was REALLY getting LOW quickly around 10 pm with that higher
> evening basal so I can't raise that time period. Please advise!
> Blessings to all.
> Sybil Fisher

Hi Sybil,

Yep, it was us. The way it was explained to me by our endo was....
When a kid goes to sleep, that's when the growth hormones turn on.
It's not time dependent so you can't really set the pump to do it the
same every night unless your kid happens to go to bed AND fall asleep
at the same time every night -- not likely. What we did was to set
the appropriate basal rate for night time to start at 2AM and let the
evening rate, which was quite a bit lower, run until that time so if
she happened to be up, she would not get low. On the all nighter's
... sleepover's etc.. it was up to her to remember to turn her basal
down. Anyway, Lily would set a temp basal rate at the regular higher
night-time rate when she went to bed that extended beyond 2AM where
the pump would pick it up automatically. this worked just fine and
also got her in the habit of setting a temp rate when things were
non-standard   --- i.e. a weekend soccer tournament or something like