[IPp] Re: Matthew's low blood sugar

>Ok an update to Matthew's low blood sugar at school. Guess what happened to
>his blood sugars last night at 8pm??  Yep, he went high, very high, in the
> 400's. I corrected and did a site change just to play it safe, he was due for
>today anyways.  I knew all those juice boxes the school nurse gave him would
>catch up to him eventually.   Two hours later he was 153 and then woke up at
>6am at 301. I call tell it is going to be a lovely Diabetes Day. I am now
>thinking growth spurt is the cause of these very crazy numbers.
>Sarah  :)    Mom to Matthew (6) MM Paradigm since May 2002, dxd 3/99 and
>Victoria (8) Non-D...Love My kids!

Hi Sarah,

Matthew's high numbers later that evening and through the night were
probably the result of rebounding (Somogyi Effect) from his lows of
the day.  When Noah has a stubborn low that takes several treatments
to get it corrected, he usually ends up with high numbers later on.

Somogyi Effect: A swing to a high level of glucose (sugar) in the
blood from an extremely low level, usually occurring after an
untreated insulin reaction during the night. The swing is caused by
the release of stress hormones to counter low glucose levels. People
who experience high levels of blood glucose in the morning may need
to test their blood glucose levels in the middle of the night. If
blood glucose levels are falling or low, adjustments in evening
snacks or insulin doses may be recommended. This condition is named
after Dr. Michael Somogyi, the man who first wrote about it. Also
called "rebound."

Could the lows at school be attributed to an over-bolus at lunch
time...didn't finish all his lunch, miscalculated the dosage, etc.?
Just a thought.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99