Re: [IPp] Humalog to Novalog

Allison Rogers wrote:

>JayJay has been getting a lot of 48 hour sites lately, so after so many good
>reports from people who switched to Novolog, I called our endo's office. CDE
>shot me down cold! She said there was no way that switching insulins would help
>with site longevity. She wanted to know where I had gotten such a crazy idea,
>and I told her exactly where. She suggested using a different infusion set and
>told me to call MM and ask for samples of 9mm quicksets (we've been using the 6
>mm QS). Actually she mentioned a few more sets to try if the 9mm doesn't work.
>Do any of you guys think that will really help? If so, I'll gladly try it.
>I know that if I could have spoken to our endo himself, he would have called in
>a prescription for me. HE listens to me, whereas the CDE usually doesn't.  He
>also knows that when I've a made a decision regarding my son's care, I won't
>quit until somebody gives in. Problem is, it's nearly impossible to speak to
>the man himself except in person at an appointment, which isn't for another 6
>weeks. UGH!
>I also asked her for a prescription for a Freestyle Tracker and she had never
>heard of it. I had to tell her what it was and where to look online to find out
>about it. She said she would have to look at the website and call her rep
>(Thereasense rep, I assume) and see the product firsthand. She would have
>to "review" it and let me know. Completely unproductive phone call, and I'm
>completely annoyed at the moment.
>So, could the 9 mm QS work? If it doesn't, I hate to put JayJay through the
>trauma a new kind of set, he just getting used to doing set changes, and I
>actually don't need someone else to hold him down any more. Any disruption in
>the routine could be very upsetting to him.
>Thanks for listening...
>Mom to JayJay, age 4, dx'd @ 11 mos, pumping for 2.5 months with "Zero"
>Sadie, age 2 and
>Alden, 11 mos
Last couple of weeks have been pretty hot, so the insulin may be getting
bad from the heat and that is why you might be seeing more of 48 hours
Changing the set to a different one is probably not going to solve your
problem.  You have a small baby (I have a 5year old) and JayJay may not
have enought body fat for a set with a longer cannula.
Based on my son's experience I am also sold on Novolog.  While Novolog
may not solve your problem, you will never know until you try.  So,  I
would persist until you get a sample so that you can n\make an educated
comparison.  Ultimately, you want to see you child to grow up healthy
and you (we all for that matter) can use any help/edge to make that happen.

Good Luck!

Wes Maciorowski