Re: [IPp] Humalog vs. Novalog

In a message dated 6/26/2002 4:02:54 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Are there any success cases with humalog? Our endo says we could
>  use novalog when we started pumping but she never heard of the problems
>  humalog that we hear on this group. It sounds like everybody suggests
> novalog
>  are there any humalog backer out there?

Actually, that vast majority of pumpers use Humalog in their pumps.  I think
estimates are still less than 10% using Novolog.  If you're having problem
with the Humalog crystalizing/clogging (AKA "occluding") in the tubing
because of the low basal rates your little one needs, it may mean that you
need to be diluting the Humalog before loading it in your cartridge.  (Your
pharmacy should be able to do that for you or at least get the diluent fluid
for you from Lilly).  With a diluted insulin in the pump you can continue the
same overall dosage levels but have a greater volume of fluid flowing through
the tubing, which should help reduce the potential for occlusions.

Pumpmama to Katie