Re: [IPp] Humalog to Novalog

In a message dated 6/26/2002 1:54:38 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> JayJay has been getting a lot of 48 hour sites lately, so after so many
>  reports from people who switched to Novolog, I called our endo's office.
>  shot me down cold! She said there was no way that switching insulins would
> help
>  with site longevity. She wanted to know where I had gotten such a crazy
>  and I told her exactly where. She suggested using a different infusion set
> and
>  told me to call MM and ask for samples of 9mm quicksets (we've been using
> the 6
>  mm QS). Actually she mentioned a few more sets to try if the 9mm doesn't
> work.
>  Do any of you guys think that will really help?

I have heard of exactly ONE child using the 9mm Quick-Sets.  I can't imagine
how your CDE thinks that a 9mm cannula is going to improve site longevity on
A FOUR YEAR OLD like you son.  Did she give you any explanation???  If it
were me, I would call her back and get real huffy with her and tell her that
you just discovered that Novolog is the ONLY insulin that the FDA has
approved for use in insulin pumps and that you no longer want your son using
insulin that has not been approved by the FDA for use in his pump and that
she needs to get a prescription for Novolog called in for you right away --
and then don't take no for an answer.  Hopefully, the Novolog will solve your
problem like it has for so many others . . . Good Luck!

Pumpmama to Katie