Re: [IPp] Carb Ratios

In a message dated 6/24/2002 11:30:11 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Just when we finally get this figured out,
>  it's all going to change when school starts!  Any suggestions for making
>  switch easier?

First of all, don't panic!  I'm not talking about it all falling apart and
you having to start completely over from scratch like it was a whole new pump
start or something.  I just wanted to make sure that you don't get lulled
into forgetting that even with this wonderful device to assist you, the
diabeastie is still on the other end of the infusion set and (especially with
kids) change is a regular part of the picture.

For us, the beginning of school simply meant that after only having maybe one
or two mild lows a month all summer she suddenly had like 3 lows a week for
the first couple weeks of school before we got her daytime basals dialed back
enough to get things leveled off.  It really caught me by surprise because
even though she slept in during the summer, the rest of the day she was much
more active than she is at school and she was after school those first few
weeks before her after school activities started up . . .

Your experience may be different, but you'll find that the basic principles
that applied while your child was on injections still apply:  BGs running
low?  needs less insulin.  BGs running high?  needs more insulin.  BUT, with
the pump you can adjust the amount of insulin so much more precisely than you
can with syringes and, more importantly IMO, you can count on WHEN the
adjustments will actually affect your childs BG levels than you ever could
with those long acting insulins doing their own thing in the background (even
if what you were adjusting were the humalog shots).

feeling any better?  8-)

Pumpmama to Katie