[IPp] Snow cones, Shave Ice, Etc.

In a message dated 6/24/2002 8:47:36 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My daughter had a rainbow snow cone a few weeks back - the syrup did have
>  carb counts for 1/4 cup syrup and it was 15g. I thought that was low but
>  Kryssy's BG was in range after so it must have been right ;-)

Yeah -- and snow cones (and shave ice) are tricky because a lot depends on
how heavy handed the server is with the syrup and how fast your child eats it
(before alot of the syrup heads south and pools down at the bottom of the
cone cup) . . .

With Shave Ice in Hawai`i the ice is a very fine powder that holds onto the
syrup mcuh more so than snow cones (which are more like crushed iced).  We
usually bolus for 30-40 grams for carbs for Shave Ice depending on what size
it is/how much of it my daughter actually eats.  If she gets a "Snow Cap"
Shave Ice (Sweetened Condensed Milk on top), then we're looking at 50-60
carbs . . .

BTW, in case anybody is headed for Hawaii, we bolus Malasadas as 20g and Poi
Mochi as 10g . . .

Pumpmama to Katie