Re: [IPp] high #'s after site change

> >>Leave the old set in place for at least 2 hours if he's using an insulin
> >>analog and 4 hours if regular (unlikely :-)
>
> Okay, but I am not getting a visual on this -- I should leave the
> old set in place -- including the tubing?   I am not understanding
> how that will help him, if the set is not attached to the pump,
> pushing that insulin into him...

No tubing, only the cannula portion of the set. Think about the size
of a tiny droplet of insulin. Typically a droplet that actually falls
off the end of the set when you do the last prime before insertion is
around 5 units and its PRETTY SMALL. When you remove the old set, two
things happen. You damage the surrounding tissue slightly and body
fluid + insulin ooze from the wound. The damage inhibits absorbtion
of insulin just as blood at the site or any other trauma. The oozing
of just a tiny amount of fluid may result in the loss of several
units of insulin. Picture all that :-)   .... anyway, it works.
That's what really matters.

Michael