Re: [IPp] Tip: for school bus rides

That is a wonderful idea. I drive a school bus and my five yr old has
Diabetes. He is now wearing an insulin pump and I drive for his school. I
will do this for as long as he lets me.  Giving the picture will all the
information which should also have your home, work and cel phone numbers on
it is a great idea.  I know from experience, that even though a bus route is
assigned a driver, many times there are substitutes, and those substitutes do
not know the children as well as the regular driver. I applaud your thinking
and so should the transportation dept in your town!  Sending the picture
daily is the best thing to do, because also, when your regular driver is not
there, the substitute may take a different bus.  You should also have a copy
of that sent to the dispatcher at the bus company for them to keep posted in
there office. But as a reminder, if anything should happen to your child on
the bus, or any other child for that matter, we as bus drivers are not
allowed to touch the children, in an accident, or even for a scraped knee.  I
of course, have broken the rule many times, being a mother, I cannot and will
not let a child who is hurt or scared not get by with out a hug or a band aid
or whatever they need. I have even kept scared children on my bus when
parents were not home to receive them, even fourth and fifth grade children.
That is also for my peace of mind.
You should also have a juice box with you child, just in case of lows on the
bus, especially with warmer weather, and sweating and such.  This should not
be a problem for the bus co.
Pump-mommy to Matthew (5) dx 3/99, pumping-Paradigm since 5/1/02
and to Victoria (7), non-D
West Hartford, Conn.