Re: [IPp] at the beach

We pump Novolog.  We were the first to try pumping Novolog at the CT
Children's Hospital in CT. We were very excited to be the first locally and
so far we have had no problems at all.  My sons sites look great, he never
experiences itching, and when we pull out to do a site change, his old sites
look great. They are a small red mark that is sometimes raised but that only
lasts about a day or so, the red mark will last about a week or two and then
it is gone.  We do not dilute insulin as the rep from Minimed told us that it
is not recommended and our Endo agreed.  Our basal rates range from 0.1 u/h
to 0.3 u/h.  The 0.1 basal is during the day, 0.2 is early morning, and the
0.3 is during the sleeping hours.  His insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit per 20
grams of carbohydrates...and this has been working well for us.  We do still
have our unexplained lows (36) and highs (upper 300's) occasionally but over
all we have been doing well.  Our HbA1'c have always been from 5 to 6's, with
an occasional 7.0, and this was even pre-pump. We switched from shots to pump
for the convenience of it, for the flexibility and so that my son can be as
"normal" a kid as possible.  I am curious as to what problems you have been
having with your pump?
Also, when we disconnect for exercise or swimming, I do not suspend our pump,
I just disconnect and let it drip into a baggie, and before I reconnect, I do
a fixed prime of 2 units, just to be sure that the tubing isn't clogged or
full of air.
Email me back , I am very interested to hear how things are going for
you....how your child is with site changes, with wearing the pump, etc....
Pump-mommy to Matthew (5) dx 3/99, pumping-Paradigm since 5/1/02
and to Victoria (7), non-D
West Hartford, Conn.