Re: [IPp] Got our letter---now we're upset

Oh my gosh...I feel so bad you and especially for Zach.
I had my share of problems this year as well, with it being my five yr old
first year at school being in grade K.  I did the whole run around thing too,
had the meetings, wrote the IEP, then was told six months later that they
somehow did not put the medical plan in to it.  Well, I called the lawyer at
our Children's Hosp and that scared them enough, as well as a phone call to
the superintendent of schools threatening a nice news cast on the issue of
children with Diabetes in our local schools.  That got their attention.  I
wrote the medical plan myself and when I went to our last meeting I refused
to leave until everyone signed it.  My son will be repeating grade K next
year and I have already made sure he does not get the same teacher, since she
is a flake and she has missed more school than my son has this year.  No one
is a better advocate for their child than their parents. I truly believe that
too. Until my son is old enough to actually be "heard", I will continue to
speak for him, and believe me...I WILL be heard. The school now knows this.
Hang in there, I hope next school year is a better one for you all.  I cannot
even imagine my son being scared to go to the nurse, especially since he goes
about six times a day...either high, low, correcting, re-testing, etc.....
The nurse informed me today, that after a year, she has finally added me to
her speed dial list....I never laughed so hard.
When I first showed her the medical plan I wrote up, I had put at the very
end of it that it is subject to change at any time, meaning his meal
boluses....insulin to carb ratio's.  She said that she would not change
anything unless it was written by a doctor, so I out smarted her, and had our
Endo write up an order stating what his current rates are, and adding that it
is subject to change per the advice of the parent.  She did not like that
much, but hey, it was doctors orders.....
I just cannot believe the ignorance that some people have towards this
disease, especially children with Diabetes, if I were a nurse at a school, I
would welcome the opportunity to learn more.
Good Luck to you again!
Pump-mommy to Matthew (5) dx 3/99, pumping-Paradigm since 5/1/02
and to Victoria (7), non-D
West Hartford, Conn.