Subject: [IPp] limited site useage

I have been so tempted to change Amelia's insulin from humalog to Novolog
but her next endo appointment isn't until August.  Her numbers just
aren't where I want them to be and her sites only last 2-3 days.  We
received a bottle of Novolog in her "camp freebies" and I am wanting to
try it over the weekend when I am home and with her 24/7.  Any
suggestions from those of you that have switched insulins?  Any advice is
greatly appreciated.  Also, would her basal stay the same or change.  I
may put a call into her doctor today and see if he will give an okay over
the phone but he travels from clinic to clinic and is hard to connect
with at times. Cheri, Mom to Amelia, pumping 18 months!

Hi Chris,
That sounds so familiar!  When Jenna started pumping at age 9, the sites
only lasted about 36 hours, then numbers would start to rise.  We solved
problem for a time with the Insulin Pumper's suggestion to mix a little
regular insulin in her Humalog - but that created its own problems.  Now,
just use Novalog and don't have the problem at all.  Which insulin are
using?  If you're using Humalog, try the Novalog - unfortunately, you
have to get a new prescription for it, the pharmacy can't just change it.
Also, we've found that the little red hole at the infusion site heals a
faster with the Novalog than it ever did with Humalog.  She's used
Tenders /
Silouettes all along.  We are now at the end of 4 years of pumping.

Nancy Morgan, mom of Jenna, age 13, dx'ed 2/98, pumping 9/98 with H-tron
till Nov 2001, now Minimed 508 wait! ing for the Paradigm upgrade - we're
gonna try 'em all