Re: [IPp] Parents sue school board

In a message dated 6/5/2002 6:26:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> This had appeared a few weeks ago in a story about a school district in
>  West Virginia deciding that the ideal way to handle all the diabetic kids
> was
>  to put them all in one school that had a nurse. Forget about the hour bus
>  ride without a nurse that would be required to transport one of them
>  there!!!!

The school district will undoubtedly lose this one . . . Other districts have
tried to do this and failed without it even getting as far as a court (I
think it first goes through the Office of Civil Rights, or some such federal
departmentwith a similar sounding name). I also know of at least one instance
that it went to court and the school district lost  (Washington State, if
memory serves) . . .

Beyond what Michael already posted, another good resource re: legal
issues/discrimination and diabetes (for kids AND adults) is the ADA legal
advocacy group.  Go to www.diabetes.org and look under the Community &
Resources section for Advocacy.  Stand up for you kids -- or yourself -- you
CAN make things right for them -- and that makes for a better America and a
better world! (IMNSHO)

Lyndy (getting down off her soap box)
Pumpmama to Katie