Re: [IPp] Swimming

> Carol,
>     Hi - just wondering about changing the site when you use Skin Bond.
> it painful or will the tape come off with adhesive remover?
> Thanks, Karen McCarthy

Michael posted the following awhile ago and it really helped us.  I went out
and bought several items to try.  Glad I saved this, too!  Thanks again,

Problems with tape or getting sets to stick are one of the most
common complaints from new pumpers with and active lifestyle. Take
heart, they are usually fairly easily solved. The problems fall into
two categories and the solutions are very similar. For those whose
skin has an allergic reaction to the tape, using barrier wipes,
changing the kind of set (and thus the stickum on the set), changing
tape or using "under taping" almost always fixes the problem. The
various barrier wipes are mentioned below.

For straight old "it won't stick" problems the solution is still
fairly easy. Two things (aside from swimming) contribute to problems
with getting the tape to stick to skin. The first is often overlooked.
Bath bars that contain skin softners tend to leave a film on the skin
that can interfere with the ability of the tape and set to stick to
the skin. Bathing with a "plain" soap or so-called "hard" bath bar
usually does the trick. For more pervasive sticking problems
additional measures can be taken. If "sweating" is the problem,
applying a PLAIN unsented stick or spray anti-perspirant and allowing
it to dry before prepping the area helps. Don't use a roll-on as they
may contain oils or lotions. For really hard problems, you can resort
to ostomy adhesives -- this is what many kids and swimmers use when
they can't get the standard preparation methods to work.

Standard prep, remove those steps that you don't need, don't use or
are inappropriate for your type of infusion set (some types of over

apply antiperspirant, let dry
apply Providine or other Iodine based prep, let dry
remove excess with alcohol pad, let dry
apply skin prep, let dry
apply gorilla snot if needed, let dry
apply undertape if necessary to help stick or to suppress allergic
skin reaction apply infusion set apply over tape if necessary

Products: most are available at either ostomy supply
houses (look in the yellow pages under Medical Supplies), your
pharmacy, or major mail order diabetes supply house and pump mfgs.
Amerisource 877-327-4677 will tell you what pharmacy in your area will
order the product for you. or Edge Park Surgical 800-321-0591 Briggs

Gorilla Snot type adhesives: try these suppliers
Mastisol - available as pads and liquid -- buy the liquid, it is
expensive, but a single bottle will last up to a year or more made by
Ferndale Laboratories, Inc, Ferndale, Michigan. 1-888-548-0900 is
their toll free number
Tincture of Benzoin -- spray and liquid  by York Pharmacal
Brookfield, MO 64628. Used by athletes to keep tape wraps on sweaty
legs, feet, etc.... available at many pharmacies
Hollister 7730 spray adhesive
Skin-Bond (Smith & Nephew)
Cavilon Cream made by 3M (1-800-2283957) product
number is 3392 Durable Barrier Cream.

Adhesive removers:
Unisolve -- Smith & Nephew
De-solv-it -- www.orange-sol.com 1-800-877-7771.
   also available at Walmart an Kroger stores in cleaning section
AllKare - Adhesive Remover Wipe NDC 0003-0374-43  order no. 37443
Wal-Mart's  "Goo Gone" a bottle is less than $5

plain old baby oil,
fingernail polish remover (acetone with oil added)

Barrier wipes:
AllKare Protective Barrier -- Convatec NDC 0003-0374-44   order no.
37444 IV-Prep -- Smith & Nephew

Bard Protective Barrier  Film, -- liquid and wipes
Catalog # 740013
made by  C.R. Bard Inc.
Murray Hill NJ 07974

Tapes and tape patches:
Hypafix like a cotton bandaid
3m Micropore
Kendall Polyskin II
Smith & Nephew "Opsite #4575"
various paper tapes available at pharmacies

Hope this helps,

Michael Robinton
Executive Director