[IPp] Toddlers and pumps

I am very pro-pump and try to help others decide on pump therapy
is willing to listen to me.  I have been asked if the challenges ofhaving
toddler (30 months old) on a pump are too great.  My son wasdiagnosed at
age 7
so I can't speak to this from personal experience.  Cansome of you tell
me what
troubles you faced with having such a young pumperand was pumping it
worth it to
you?  Do you find that children this young areinterested in playing with
pump and the buttons?  Do the lock-out featuresand locking cases work
well as a
solution?  Any feedback would be welcome.Thank you,Marisa

Andrew started pumping 9 months ago at age 2 1/2. The pump has been
nothing short of  transformational for us.  Pre-pump, Andrew was on a
NPH/Humalog regimen, receiving 3-4 shot's per day, yet his control was
very poor, with wildly fluctuating blood sugars and low's almost daily.
The fact that he was a 'grazer' as many toddlers tend to be, made things
even more difficult.  Andrew adapted very easily to wearing the pump, and
we saw  improvement in his control almost immediately. He is now able to
eat in a fashion that is much more normal for him ~ at times of his own
choosing ~ and the food is easily covered with insulin by pushing a few
buttons. His overall control is so much better now, even despite the fact
that he still likes to 'graze'.(his A1c has dropped from 8.7 to 7.9) It
is so much nicer giving him only one poke every three days now! I love
not having any long-acting insulin in his system ~ it makes it s! o much
easier to make quick adjustments if there is a 'high' or a 'low'. The
very best thing about pumping, in my opinion, is that it offers Andrew
(and this entire family) a much more 'normal' lifestyle despite his
diabetes. I would also want to say that pumping does not make things
'perfect', and is not without it's frustrations at times. We still have
our 'bad days', but they are almost always less 'bad', and they are fewer
and farther between. There is a lot of work involved in the beginning as
you are learning everything, but in my opinion,  in the long run pumping
is actually easier. With a toddler age child, much diligence is required
on the part of the parent/caregiver to make sure the child is 'safe' on
the pump. Frequent bg checks are important since it's all short-acting
insulin, and any interruption in insulin delivery could bring on DKA
within hours.  Andrew wears his pump in a velcro-closured pocket sewn
into the back of his undershirt, this keeps the! pump out of his curious
little fingers, which is VERY important.  The pump does have a child
'lock-out' for the buttons, but it could still be possible for a child to
dislodge the insulin cartridge from the pump and accidentally give a
large 'manual' bolus ~ very dangerous!!  But with proper care and
management these issues are easily dealt with.

For us, the positives of pumping have FAR outweighed the negatives, and I
feel the pump is a wonderful tool for managing diabetes in a toddler.
Hopefully more and more endo's will start to feel the same way.  I could
go on and on, but I better not! Anyone who would like more info, please
feel free to contact me at email @ redacted

Lisa Harris (MI), mom of Andrew 3yrs old, pumping 9mos, and mom of Jamie
9, and Mary 4.............and happily married to David!