[IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #85

>We are still battling both highs and lows.  Just when I think I see a
>pattern, they change.  Last week, Matthew was low after every meal....this
>week, he is high.  It is almost a month for us, and I am wondering why it is
>taking us so long to balance everything out.<<
>Pump-mommy to Matthew (5) dx 3/99, pumping-Paradigm since 5/1/02
>and to Victoria (7), non-D
>West Hartford, Conn.

Hi Sarah,

In the event you haven't already done this, I'm relaying to you what
made the difference for us in achieving that balance in blood
sugars...getting the basals set correctly.  We found that when Noah's
basals were set correctly, everything else fell into place and made
much more sense.  Basal testing is tricky since no left over boluses
can be hanging around and fasting for several hours at a time is
critical.  Also choosing a day/night when extra activity level isn't
a factor.  This was the most difficult aspect of pumping for us.  It
took several weeks.  Noah was 12 at the time so hormones were also a
major factor.

If you haven't already checked out profile basal testing and setting,
there are step-by-step instructions in John Walsh's book "Pumping
Insulin" and on the insulin pumpers web site:

Good luck!

I'm sure it's difficult with a younger, active pumper to get basals
set correctly when no two days are the same!

Cindy, mom to 15 y/o Noah