Re: [IPp] Q: Combo lantus pump

Suzanne,

FWIW for swimming my son just disconnects and
sometimes boluses for maybe half the anticipated
missed basal, then tests in 1 1/2 to 2 hours and has a
snack and some insulin, with a partial correction if
needed.  If he has some insulin on board before
swimming, he will not necessarily even bolus ahead of
time for a portion of the missed basal, but will check
in 1 1/2 to 2 hours and do a correction or give some
of the missed basal then.  The main thing is not to go
more than about 2 hours without insulin.  Dan is very
exercise-sensitive with delayed lows for swimming, so
we depend on the pump to deliver temporary reduced
basal rates for the next 12 hours or so after
swimming.  So for us at least, we would also have to
reduce lantus for swimming, which to my mind is harder
to anticipate and adjust than the fast-acting insulin
via the pump.

Just my 2 cents.

Mary

 Mom of Chris, 24, Carrie, 20, Dan, 16 dx 01 pumping cozmo 03, aunt and guardian
of Mike, 20, and wife of Jim