[IPp] Re: Difficult basal rates; Was choosing a pump and using a Continous Glucose Monitor

All,

My suggestion for small kids and sensitive adults:  Dilute your
insulin.  We've been doing it for 3 years now and it has been
fantastic.  We had the same issues when we first started pumping.  The
standard U100 is too strong and trying to get the basals correct was
difficult.  Our pump group suggested we dilute and told us how - Have
your pharmacist contact Lilly and ask for diluent and empty vials.
Then, because the pharmacist can't sell the diluent, he can give it to
you for free and you do the work (you can buy syringes), or s/he can do
the dilution for you.  We've been diluting to U25 (one-fourth the
concentration of the usual stuff) and it's been great.  We simply tell
the pump that the correction number is 1/4th what it really is (90
instead of 360), the food bolus is 1/4th (1:6 instead of 1:24), and the
basal rates are 4 times what they should be (0.4 instead of 0.1).

What this does is put the pump out into a basal range that is "away
from the edges" (the variability of delivering 0.05 u/hr if *far*
greater than the variability of delivering 0.2 u/hr).  We are just now
getting to basal rate numbers that might allow us to not dilute (Sigrid
will be 5 in Oct.).  It is my opinion that diluting the insulin will
allow you to smooth out the basal rates and give you better control of
you childs' diabetes.

That's my 2 cents!

David Jensen
Dad to 4 yo Sigrid (dx'd 11 mos; pumping since 17 mos.) and 1 yo Vibeka.