From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of brozell
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 12:03 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPp] Re: Choosing a pump and using a Continous Glucose
Monitor

I'd like to second the comments posted by the Kubicka Family.
Our family has three type 1 diabetics all on the Animas IR 1250 insulin
pump.  My wife was dx in 2001 and started pumping with a Minimed 512 in
2003
while pregnant with our son.  My daughter was dx 2 month away from her
3rd
bday and started on an Animas IR1250 about six months later due to it's
low
basal rates and waterproofness (at which time my wife also switched to
the
IR 1250 due to many of its features including the insulin on board
calculations).  Our son was dx a month after his 2nd bday and started on
the
IR 1250 three months later.
For the kids, which are relatively thin, we use a 6mm Inset along the
top of
the buttocks and rotate sides each site change.  We use ice in a baggie
or a
small ice pack to cool the area before insertion and cover the entire
site
with and IV3000 dressing to prevent from snagging on the site when
pulling
pants/underwear up and down.  No problems with the sites coming off in
the
pool or tub.
We have had good customer support with any pump issues from both
companies,
but feel the local sales rep for the company plays a huge roll in
overall
satisfaction.  Our Animas rep in western PA is outstanding - going above
and
beyond in so many ways.
We also use the hard copy of CalorieKing to aid in carb counting and
then
use the carbsmart feature on the pump.  We have copies of it at home,
relatives, preschool, and my wife's purse.  If you are at a chain
restaurant
and the item is not in the book most places have the nutritional
analysis if
you ask the manager for it.
We are also waiting until insurance covers the CGMS and hoping the size
of
the sensor site will get better by then also.
Good Luck to you and just select which ever pump you think will work
best
for you.